ABC is inciting religious discrimination!

By Yan Xia

During the interview with ABC journalist Hagar, she continuously asked about my personal beliefs. She believes the religions of those who operate a media determines this media’s position and affects editorial independence.

I asked Hagar, “Do you know Trump’s religion?” She shook her head. That’s strange, I thought to myself. ABC is investigating Trump supporter’s religion but don’t know Trump’s religion? Further, Trump has a lot of church supporters.

“Trump is a Christian,” I said. “He is calling for the whole world to fight against the Chinese Communist Party’s ‘tyranny’.” Would his actions lead the ABC to believe that Christians around the world are united together to fight the CCP?”  Hagar did not answer.

I asked another question, “In Australia, a Catholic Church cardinal was charged with child sexual abuse. When ABC reported this, would you report it as an individual criminal case or would you maintain that the church the cardinal belonged to is a criminal organization?” Hagar continued to be silent.

If the ABC does not usually connect a person’s actions with their religion, then why would they treat FLG practitioners’ case any differently? Is the ABC trying to bully those who are weak?

During our conversation, I told Hagar that I believe religion is a type of culture. Australia is a country that has successfully embraced multiculturalism and diversity and respects everyone’s beliefs. I have attended church in Australia and read the Bible many times. I have also visited temples around the country and read numerous Buddhist scriptures. I have also come across FLG practitioners on the street and read the FLG lectures. Every religion is valuable and exists for a reason. Whatever we choose to belief in is a basic individual right. Society should not interfere with this.

I asked Hagar whether, as a government funded broadcaster, ABC’s story targeting FLG represented the views of the Australian government. She said, “No.”

However, anyone can see that the entire program was filled with host Eric Campbell’s ridicule towards FLG. Not only was there no respect for this religion or its followers but after watching the program, many viewers have publically expressed their contempt towards FLG practitioners. There have also been reports of FLG practitioners being harassed for no reason while demonstrating outside the ABC headquarters in Ultimo, Sydney.

The published ABC report has already breached the privacy of individuals and their family members, causing their family members in China to face dire consequences.

I am not sure if this was what Eric Campbell and Hagar Cohen had intended?

I told Hagar that I was deeply disappointed and worried about the impact of the program within the Chinese community.

Since Australia abolished the “White Australia Policy”, equality, anti-discrimination and religion freedom are upheld by the law. New migrants have made the choice to come to Australia on the back of this country’s multiculturalism and diversity. Why is a national broadcaster producing a program that is provoking social disharmony despite fervent protests from the FLG group? Is the ABC trying to tell people that “multiculturalism and harmony” is dispensable in the face of “ideology” clashes? Does the ABC believe those who target Trump is doing the right thing and those who support him should be severely reprimanded?

I'm working hard to cooperate with ABC reporters in investigating whether Vision Times Media Australia’s newspaper Vision China Times is an independent media.

I have also made it clear in my conversations with Hagar that for the past 6 years I have been at Vision Times Media Australia, founders and directors have never involved in the paper's final published editorial works. The personal background of the directors has nothing to do with the position of the media company.

I have also warned Hagar not to release any personal details of the staff at our media company because this will bring dangers to those who have family members in China.

ABC's report has obviously contravened basic moral standards and Australia's values.

However, as the chief editor of Vision Times Media Australia, I would like to question the ABC management team: there have already been incidents of discrimination towards FLG following the broadcasting of this program. Does it comply with ABC’s Editorial Policies or Code of Practice? Can government funds be used to produce a program that incites religious discrimination?

I also pose the same question to the Minister for Immigration, Citizenship and Multicultural Affairs and the Australian government. Why would a government that embraces multiculturalism allow the ABC to disrespect the freedom of religion and target a law-abiding religious group for political reasons? I hope for a reasonable explanation from the Australian government.

 English Version , 原文:“夏言:ABC 正在挑動信仰歧視!”

4-8-2020


留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

不要忘了自己是澳洲人

「老人與海」筆下的《垃圾時代》

假裝聞不到火藥味是非常危險的